That was pretty easy. Here’s what I did…
- downloaded OpenSolaris 2008.11 Live CD
- burned ISO file to a CD
- booted fileserver from Live CD
- double-clicked “Install OpenSolaris” on desktop of Live CD
- answered the install questions (time zone, username, etc.)
- ran “Add More Software” which launches the package manager
- installed the “nas-server” collection
- rebooted (apparently some of the nas-server config files don’t load properly until a reboot)
Then from the command line, I did some magic to get my existing 5-drive RAIDZ pool mounted on the new OS. My zpool has the unimaginative name of “storage” which you will see in the following commands.
- zpool import -f storage
- zpool upgrade storage
- zfs upgrade storage
Now that my zpool was mounted and ready for the cifs service, I had to enter a few more commands to get cifs running.
- svcadm enable -r smb/server
- smbadm join -w
- zfs set sharesmb=on storage
- sharemgr show -vp (just to check)
And that was that. I just love how simple these commands are now. A lot simpler than SAMBA, but we’ll see if the new cifs service is as stable and fast.
I still had to do a little chown and chmod work to get permissions right, but then everything was perfect. The mapped network drive on my PC fired right up without any changes, and the saved “connect to server” favorite on my Mac worked immediately as well.
I have iTunes set up so that its “iTunes Music” folder is on the fileserver. So now all is well there and I can continue to manage my library from my Mac laptop, but store all the music files on the server. I feel a little better knowing that RAIDZ is protecting all those media files from bitrot, but I still need to get some backup in place for my 500+GB media folder.
Next project will be to see if I can get Firefly running to share out my movies folder to the AppleTV.
I’ve been having intermittent issues with my MacBook dropping the connection to the SMB share on my Solaris server. It wasn’t bad enough for me to spend any time trying to troubleshoot it because a quick stop and start on the airport would usually allow me to mount the network volume again. The problem usually showed up a few times a week and never lasted more than a minute or two. My Windows PC, which is wired to the ethernet network, never had any issues with dropping this connection to the same SMB share.
After the AirPort Extreme Update 2008-004 that came out just a couple weeks ago, I haven’t had any problems at all. My connection to the share on the Solaris server has been rock solid. It’s one of those things that took me a while to notice, but after a week went by getting the disconnect message from the Finder I realized how nice it was to just have the connection work.
If you’re wondering why I care, it’s because I manage my iTunes library from my laptop, but have my iTunes music folder on the network share. All the content is stored there, but the library file (like an index of iTunes content) is on my MacBook. When iTunes can’t find the network volume, it saves any downloads (usually podcasts that download automatically) to the local volume on the MacBook. It’s simple to copy the content back into the assigned iTunes Music folder when it’s available, but running “Consolidate Content” takes a while and locks up iTunes while it runs.
I’m also extremely grateful for how the Finder was rewritten in Leopard to allow multi-threading for network shares. Anyone who’s had a Mac for more than a couple years will remember the pain of watching the beachball in the Finder when a network volume disappeared, or you put a notebook to sleep with a share mounted and then woke it up on another network and it spent eternity trying to figure out why this new network didn’t have the old network share available. I still occassionaly forget to put away my home network share when I leave, but now the Finder lets me know much more gracefully without any lockup of the computer while it figures out what I’ve done.
Anyways, thank you Apple for fixing this bug that looks like it was caused by the Airport driver.